Monday, May 26, 2008

You would think that with them working at a school they could read...

In the latest edition of Just Outside the Harbor I would like to embark with my readers on a relentless tirade into the idiocy that I encountered while filling out a survey on my high school's website. The survey, titled "Lowry Educational Mission and Beliefs Survey" sounded quite important, so being the highly opinionated individual that I am, I decided to fill it out. With the first few questions I knew my insanely sarcastic psyche was in for a real treat. The second question, for example, listed literacy as one of the 9 goals of high school education I was to rank in importance. Now, perhaps I am mistaken, but I was under the impression that literacy was one of the implied goals of any educational program. And shouldn't students be able to read before even entering high school? Just to be safe, I ranked it number two after "Job readiness", a choice I was soon to regret.
Later on in the survey, I was asked the same question twice ("7. Albert Lowry High School provides a safe environment for the students and faculty," and "9. I feel safe at Lowry High School,"), posed with a question asking what the overall purpose of the high school setting should be (strangely, "learning" and "education" were absent as choices, replaced instead by "safety", "respect", and "discipline"), and confronted with misspellings ("12. Albert Lowry High School provides adequate programs for giftd and talented students," [emphasis mine] to which I only wish "apparently not" was a choice I could choose to reply with).
Now, to be fair, I really have no idea who wrote this survey. It could have very well been a student who in all actuality really didn't know how to read very well, and was therefore bitter over the system having failed him. This student may then have composed this survey and purposely added "Literacy" as a goal of high school education to mock that which he hated most in the world. He also may have intentionally chosen to ignore the spell check button. Somehow I doubt all of this though. Somehow, deep in my cynical mind, I have a feeling that someone working for our school district, someone being paid with our tax dollars to educate our children, wrote this and published it on the school's website. And the powers that be approved it. This probably really isn't that big of a deal at all, or even as funny as I feel it is, but honestly, I'm tired and can't sleep and it sounded like a good idea for a blog to me.
So there that is...

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing sarcasm and gifted intelligence is a family trait -- wandered over here from your aunt's blog (she's one of my favorite neighbors).

    I'm hoping college will be better...maybe not safer? and I'm not sure there are many gfted programs either.

    oh when I was your age (ages and ages ago) my dad would return things like thatto the school with many things circled in red ink with a nasty note, also in red ink....

    ReplyDelete