Sunday, October 5, 2008

Dear Blog...I have returned, and this time, I bring a real post.

I know, it's weird. I'm actually going to start blogging again. It may seem as though I had forgotten you old friend. For a short time, you were my only dabble in public writing. Now, every week, I write articles that are published in a real newspaper and read by, quite literally, thousands of people. And while I have been busy, honing my skills as a journalist and learning the ins and outs of the newspaper business, you have always been in the back of my mind. I always tell myself, around two in the morning on a Monday somewhere between checking jumps on A4 and wondering how the hell we missed deadline again, that I will someday get my life organized to the point that I can again post at least a weekly message. Well, that time is here.
I'm sure you're asking yourself why I would have committed myself to something that would tear me from your loving jumble of semi-generic HTML code. Allow me to explain. I am getting a chance that most people don't ever get. I am not only involved with something much more successful and respected than myself, but I am getting a taste of my career while I still have the opportunity to change it. And change it I never shall.
All doubt that may have lain in the corners of my mind that I may want to do anything else with my life has been erased by my experience with the Sagebrush. I get to talk to people as different as a homeless man living in a tent in downtown Reno next to the train trench, to the mayor of that same city in his 15th floor corner office for the same story. Every week I get to learn something new, with topics ranging from third-party political volunteers to budget crises facing UNR.
I am stressed out for at least an hour or two every day, but I wouldn't trade the fast paced nature of my job for anything. I love what I'm doing even before I am out of college. I cannot imagine a time in my life I will not enjoy going to work, and that is something most people take a lifetime to find. And here I am, 19 and I've already found it.
Lucky me. Lucky me.
So there's that...

1 comment:

  1. You are very lucky indeed because as you know many people never find their path. I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete