Sunday, June 15, 2008

A short, rushed post...

Sorry I haven't posted on here in a long time, I've been a bit busy and away from internet access. I was living in a tent outside of Carlin, NV all of last week, so I hope you can all forgive me. But more on that later. First, I have to vent some excitement. I, Jay Balagna, starting August, will be a staff writer for The Nevada Sagebrush (the student newspaper for UNR)! YES! HAHAHAHA! WOOT WOOT!
Okay, now that I have vented that, I will explain why I was in Carlin. As some of you out there know, this summer I am fighting fire for the BLM. Well, in order to be officially considered a firefighter, I had to go to a week long rookie school to obtain my "red card". I like to affectionately refer to it now as boot camp for firefighters. Walking in lines, getting up at 5 am to work out, wearing 35 lb line gear, long sleeve nomex sirts and pants so we all match, helmets, and communicating through the chain of command. You'd think I would hate all that, but I actually loved it. I probably had more fun at rookie school than most people there (evidenced by the fact that I seemed to be the only one who didn't complain). Maybe I'm in the wrong career path. Eh, probably not, but I'm still extremely excited for this. Way more excited than I was for graduation, thats for sure. Anyways, I head out to McDermitt (the station I am assigned to) for the first time tomorrow morning, so more on my job and situation when I learn it.
So there's that...

3 comments:

  1. I am so utterly envious of your staff writer position..
    I am set on findin a newspaper that will allow me to hold a position without being judgemental towards my age.
    I have yet to find one.

    oh bythe way- your speech at graduation was simply a work of art. You are an artist with words jay, ane i think you should know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. reply to me at my email okay? if thats possible i suppose.
    taylorjoylaird@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete